Friday, August 27, 2010

Independence 2010

I have grown quite cynical over the years. When I was a child, I used to be very happy whenever 14th August came around. I would hoist the flag on my roof, listen to milli naghmay, and dance around to the tune of Dil Dil Pakistan.

As I grew up, and had to face the harsh realities of life, I was quite depressed. I have had to deal with all sorts of people over the years, and it hasn't been a pleasant experience. Dishonest policemen, corrupt officials, filthy politicians, liars, looters,,, they are everywhere. Law & order situation throughout the country is in tatters. No one and no place is safe. Bomb blasts, suicide attacks, in markets, crowds, places of worship... its an open game and we are the target.

The economy is in the trash, foreign debt is at an all time high, inflation is rocketing beyond Mars, the government doesn't care, and the president cares only about his ego and pleasures.

The media knows no ethics. There are apparently no boundaries that it won't cross. Privacy, respect, integrity,,, its all a joke. Sensationalism is the order of the day.

All in all, its a very depressing time in the country. A friend of mine, who is a patriotic Pakistani, also blogged today, appealing for the people to wake up and do something. (http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=284221049956). I blogged the same thing last year (http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=119392774259). But it seems like no one is listening, and its all a huge rat race, with a person caring about only oneself.

For a few weeks, I have been feeling let down by my countrymen, and had been feeling a bit helpless in all the trouble we are going through. But today,,, today I saw something that gave me hope. I saw a bunch of students standing at Two Talwar, Clifton, early in the morning, collecting donations for the flood victims. They were standing there, in the heat, while fasting, shouting "Pakistan Zindabad" and appealing to the people to help their fellow countrymen who in desperate need of food, medicines, shelter and clothes.

The sight really lifted my spirits, and I thought, at least there is someone who is helping. There are still people who haven't given up, there are people who still care, who still want to help, who still believe in Pakistan. How can I remain depressed... this is the Pakistani I was, and have to be. I was, am, and Inshallah will remain a proud Pakistani. Even though I have zero faith in my government, and media, I have faith in my generation. I have faith in my people. I have faith in Pakistan.

Whatever the challenges, I know we can overcome them. All we need is patience, and unity. Together we can do anything. Lets all work together to help, to restore and to rebuild this great nation.

May Allah Almighty help us, and bless us. Amen! Pakistan Zindabad!

-Abdur Rahman Faisal
Originally written on 14th August 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment